As practicing security professionals helping clients every day to secure their homes, vehicles, and businesses – we had our share of witnessing security hits and misses. As master locksmiths, it is our duty to ensure the safest environment is delivered in our service areas around Melbourne. We wish to see that everyone commit to their security as a top priority.
So, direct from LocksUnlimited master locksmiths, below are our home security tips.
• Brighten the foyer, set up lights outside the house, in the garden
• Cut and tidy bushes and clear away any possible hiding spots
• Don’t leave large boxes, chairs, and ladders outside
• General alarm and monitoring signs can be good burglar deterrents
• Always secure mailboxes, have them locked
• Evaluate the benefits of an alarm system or CCTV
Windows and Doors
• It is wise to have every door with exterior access to have a deadbolt
• Bolster door jambs with long screws so they don’t get kicked in easily
• Favor steel security doors with burglar safe glass
• Make it a habit to shut blinds and curtains when leaving the house or even when you’re just at home to avoid being scoped for burglary
• Ensure windows are locked, only open them when necessary and you are at home
• Have dowels in all doors and windows to reinforce security
• Never leave your keys with others; a lock box with a security code is better
• When keys are lost, don’t just get new keys, change the locking system
• Look at having all your keys the same, (other than the ones for cleaners or babysitters) this way, if a key is lost or your safety is in question, only one lock needs to be replaced
The same home security applies for property rentals. It is important to evaluate the security features your house or building has. Contact LocksUnlimited to a full security assessment of your home, apartment or building.